Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Join me for a tasting?

My kombucha is finished!  I bottled it last Friday in three glass bottles and started another batch with the baby SCOBY.  I wasn't sure how long to let it sit, so I opened one bottle after a day or so and it wasn't fizzy yet.  Then two days later I opened the second bottle, and it was mildly fizzy, so I decided to let it sit for a tiny bit longer.  Today I opened the third bottle and was about to sip it when it made a geyser of foam!  So I think most of the fizz left there because the kombucha remaining is slightly fizzy (that's more than mildly, but less than soda).


It was taller than that before I got a hold of my camera!

It's a bit sweet, so I think next time I won't put as much syrup in it.  I did like the way it tasted after the first fermentation, so I'll just do some plain at some point, too.  But in any case, I think it tastes pretty good.  There's a slight grapefruity aftertaste, I'm not sure where that came from, it's probably an acid the bacteria or yeast made.  I haven't died yet, so that's a good sign.
Look at the head on that one!

I put the other two bottles in the fridge, I'm drinking the exploding bottle warm, but I don't think that's so bad.  We'll see what sitting in the fridge does for the other two.  Unfortunately, because I opened them early and let them sit again, the two bottles grew little bitty thiny SCOBY's on top, so I might scoop them away.  They look kinda funky.  :)  I'll be bottling last Friday's batch of kombutcha in about a week, so I'll be sure not to open those ones for three days.

This is what the kombucha looked like right before I bottled it.  Two and a half SCOBY's!
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment